I am not sure if you guys have heard of One Stop Brew Shop in Rochester, NY but it looks amazing! It looks exactly like what we want. They have hundreds of different bottled beer and they even have about a dozen beers on tap to fill growlers with. I reached out to them on 7/18/16 to see if they would be willing to meet with me and answer some questions. I was very up front and told them that I wanted to start a business almost exactly like theirs in Syracuse. I sent the message expecting a response that basically blew me off. Why encourage possible competition right?
This is the beer community. We love beer. We want to share it with as many people as we can. It just warms my heart that he was so encouraging and willing to meet me this weekend to discuss anything I want to.
Now it is time to brainstorm Questions:
- What license do they have?
- Did they hire a lawyer to get their necessary licenses?
- What can they provide? Bottled? Growler fills? Samples? Kegs?
- How did they find their vendors?
- How long was the process from initial planning to opening doors?
- What is their typical customer like? What do they want? Novice? Experienced?
- What are their best selling types of beer?
- How far do customers typically travel to shop with them?
- Did they previously own a business?
- Where did they get their funding? Grants? Loans?
- How much start up costs should I have ready for inventory?
- When to they anticipate breaking even?
- What do they do with inventory that doesn’t sell? Drink it? 😛
- What is their business insurance like? Cost? Coverage? Through who?
- How do they plan for retirement and pay for health care?
- How many employees do they have?
- Does one of the owners work full time on the shop?
- How many beers do they typically have in stock?
- Are foreign beers hard to obtain / expensive?
- Are there any expense that you can now run through the business?
- How did they find the space they are utilizing?
- How do they market their business?
- Do they deal with breweries directly or do they have to go through distributors?
- What are some of the biggest challenges they have faced since opening the shop and how did they overcome them?
- Is there anything they would have done differently?
Let me know if you guys think of anything else I could learn from someone living my dream 🙂