As you may have seen our counter top was poured with about 4 inches of concrete and they used a silicone template for the edges to make it look rough cut! Super cool!
This is where I come in!!! Joel and I had this super cool idea for a counter that we found as a wall decoration online. I wanted to share it on here so badly but the last time we shared our counter ideas on here, our neighbor ended up with the same exact idea!!! So here is the photo we used for inspiration. We wanted this sort of look but more 3D.
So for my first full day at the shop, I was making this vision come true. Got there at 7 am and started spacing out the large pieces we had cut from Oran Milling. Then I moved all the bins and bins of smaller pieces around the counter so I had plenty of options within reach.
As soon as the guy with the miter saw showed up we were ready to rock!! He would slice the edges off the pieces for the bottom, top and some sides. We started with the side that will be against the cooler / under the taps. That way, by the time we get in the swing of it we are at the spot you see when you first walk in the store.
This is the glue we ended up using. They tried some “magic” glue that was supposed to be rock hard and glue anything but it fell off after one day of their trial. Then they tried this stuff and for them to get the test piece off the board he had to really bash it on the concrete floor. It is pretty impressive stuff! The only complaint I had was that by the end of the day I had to use two hand because my forearms were jello from the caulk gun HAHAH.
It was a super fun puzzle!!! I felt bad for the guy cutting wood for me since he had to just cut a few and then stand there and wait for me to get to the next spot where I needed a cut. He was real great though. He would help me find the perfect size pieces for a tough spot or I would say “I need this one to be cut here-ish” and he would be super patient and cut it high and then keep trimming it down to fit.
Many hours later and we were still chugging along. We had to shuffle all the bins and pieces of wood as we moved so that I could see all my options. I also started some bins for the pieces I never wanted to see again. They could have a weird cut or bark missing in an ugly way or whatever but I would keep picking them up to see if they would fit and then remember I didn’t like the piece and set it back down. Once I realized I was going to have plenty of wood I started chucking them in a bin to just take home and burn.
This is where it got super interesting! We were trying to get the pieces on the end to be flat and not fall off the edge and then we had to get that tiny space filled! Usually the end of a jigsaw puzzle is the easy part. This was the OPPOSITE for sure!
We finally got around the corner!!! This is the side most people will see when they come in the shop… no pressure!
My phone died right before the last piece so they were nice enough to take a picture of me placing the last piece! Funniest part was that since it was a bigger piece he had to take the pic and then go behind the counter and drill a nail through the piece so it wouldn’t fall off.
TADA!!!!!!! All finished!!! A few of those big ones have screws in them and the 2×4 on the bottom will be removed and replaced with the same base molding that is going to be in the whole store. That way there is a little room for toes to be while people pick out their growler fill or pay for the beers.
A few people have asked what now. Are we going to poly the whole thing or seal it in anyway but right now our thought is no. We will keep it raw like a pile of fire wood. The only problem I see is that people may stand up next to it and put their feet on it somehow and that could strip the bark and/or damage it in general. Gotta keep thinking on that one.